Writing and running a successful company blog site is vital in today’s world of online resources and social media. Arguably the best platform for this is WordPress as it offers built in SEO, thousands of pre-built themes and plugins to add pretty much any functionality that you may require. But what are the 10 essential plugins that you should ensure are installed on your blog?
Akismet is a great plugin to automatically filter out spam comments on your company blog. It doesn’t capture every single one, but it does reduce the number a great deal.
Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not and lets you review the spam it catches under your blog’s “Comments” admin screen.
Major new features in Akismet 2.5 include:
- A comment status history, so you can easily see which comments were caught or cleared by Akismet, and which were spammed or unspammed by a moderator
- Links are highlighted in the comment body, to reveal hidden or misleading links
- If your web host is unable to reach Akismet’s servers, the plugin will automatically retry when your connection is back up
- Moderators can see the number of approved comments for each user
- Spam and Unspam reports now include more information, to help improve accuracy
PS: You’ll need an Akismet.com API key to use it. Keys are free for personal blogs, with paid subscriptions available for businesses and commercial sites.
Google XML Sitemaps takes the pain out of submitting your blog’s sitemap to multiple search engines. Easy to install and setup, the plugin runs automatically in the background keeping your sitemap up to date and submitting it for you.
This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo and Ask.com to better index your blog. With such a sitemap, it’s much easier for the crawlers to see the complete structure of your site and retrieve it more efficiently. The plugin supports all kinds of WordPress generated pages as well as custom URLs. Additionally it notifies all major search engines every time you create a post about the new content.
This plugin adds an area to your blog posts template in order to specify your SEO title, description and keywords. It also has a wealth of global settings which can be set on a dedicated page.
Optimizes your WordPress blog for Search Engines (Search Engine Optimization).
- Google Analytics support
- Support for Custom Post Types
- Advanced Canonical URLs
- Fine tune Page Navigational Links
- Built-in API so other plugins/themes can access and extend functionality
- ONLY plugin to provide SEO Integration for WP e-Commerce sites
- Nonce Security
- Support for CMS-style WordPress installations
- Automatically optimizes your titles for search engines
- Generates META tags automatically
- Avoids the typical duplicate content found on WordPress blogs
- For beginners, you don’t even have to look at the options, it works out-of-the-box. Just install.
- For advanced users, you can fine-tune everything
- You can override any title and set any META description and any META keywords you want.
- Backward-Compatibility with many other plugins, like Auto Meta, Ultimate Tag Warrior and others.
CF7 enables you to create multiplpe forms for pages or posts. Thses can be used for a variety of purposes including contact forms, material submission, file upload, surveys and competitions.
Contact Form 7 can manage multiple contact forms, plus you can customize the form and the mail contents flexibly with simple markup. The form supports Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.
A great plugin to ensure that content on your blog is publicised even if it is not the latest story published. This plugin will automatically Tweet posts from your blog at a user defined interval. You can choose to exclude certain categories too.
Tweet Old Posts is a plugin designed to tweet your older posts to get more traffic.
This plugin helps you to keeps your old posts alive by tweeting about them and driving more traffic to them from twitter. It also helps you to promote your content. You can set time and no of tweets to post to drive more traffic.
When creating forms using CF7, you may want an added bit of security to prevent spam submissions. This is where RSC comes in. Simply add it to your form to enable a CAPTCHA section which must be completed correctly in order for the form to be submitted.
Really Simple CAPTCHA does not work alone and is intended to work with other plugins. It is originally created for Contact Form 7, however, you can use it with your own plugin.
Really Simple CAPTCHA does not use PHP “Sessions” for storing states, unlike many other PHP CAPTCHA solutions, but stores them as temporary files. This allows you to embed it into WordPress without worrying about conflicts.
When you generate a CAPTCHA, Really Simple CAPTCHA creates two files for it; one is an image file of CAPTCHA, and the other is a text file which stores the correct answer to the CAPTCHA.
Jetpack features a wealth of functionality for your blog. Previously only available for blogs hosted with WordPress, Jetpack is now available for self hosted WordPress sites.
- Simple, concise stats with no additional load on your server. Previously provided byWordPress.com Stats.
- Email subscriptions for your blog’s posts and your post’s comments.
- Social networking enabled comment system.
- Monitor and manage your site’s activity with Notifications in your Toolbar and on WordPress.com.
- Simple, Akismet-backed contact forms.
- The WP.me URL shortener.
- Hovercard popups for your commenters via Gravatar.
- Easily embedded media from popular sites like YouTube, Digg, and Vimeo.
- The ability to post to your blog from any email client.
- Integration with and automatic posting to your favorite social networks including Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and LinkedIn.
- For the Math geeks, a simple way to include beautiful mathematical expressions on your site.
- A widget for displaying recent tweets. Previously provided by Wickett Twitter Widget
- Your readers can easily share your posts via email or their favorite social networks. Previously provided by the Sharedaddy WordPress plugin.
- Your writing will improve thanks to After the Deadline, an artificial intelligence based spell, style, and grammar checker. Previously provided by the After the Deadline WordPress plugin.
- With Carousel active, any standard WordPress galleries you have embedded in posts or pages will launch a gorgeous full-screen photo browsing experience with comments and EXIF metadata.
- A CSS editor that lets you customize your site design without modifying your theme.
- A mobile theme that automatically streamlines your site for visitors on mobile devices.
- Mobile push notifications for new comments via WordPress mobile apps.
- The ability to allow applications to securely authenticate and access your site with your permission.
- Creative formats for your image galleries: mosaic, circles, squares, and a slideshow view.
nRelate is a great plugin for attracting additional page views. The plugin displays related posts in the position of your choice, and in an attractive way.
The best way to display related content from your site, and/or your blogroll.
Installing this plugin is as simple as activating it, and you can leave the rest to nrelate. Once activated, the nrelate servers will immediately begin analyzing your website content and associating similar articles.
There are four ways to display related content:
1. Automatically display before or after each post.
2. Use the [nrelate-related] shortcode in your post.
3. Use our widget in any widget area in your theme
4. Place the nrelate_related() function in your theme files.
Adds an attractive social bookmarking menu and related content widget to your posts, pages, index, or any combination of the three.
WPTouch converts your sites theme to a mobile friendly one, when being viewed on a smart phone. With modern, most responsive themes this is not so much of an issue, but if your site does not display clearly on mobile, this is the plugin for you.
WPtouch automatically transforms your WordPress website for mobile devices. The admin panel allows you to customize many aspects of its appearance, and deliver a fast, user-friendly and stylish version of your site to touch mobile visitors, without modifying a single bit of code (or affecting) your regular desktop theme.