Disasters happen, whether natural, environmental or man made, and in almost all cases they’ll happen to people that thought ‘it would never happen to us’. Data is critical to businesses success, should this data suddenly disappear the effects can be catastrophic. Whether it’s your employee, customer, sales or statistical data, you should have protection and a plan in place should the unthinkable happen, but do you?
A recent report published by Disaster Recovery Preparedness Benchmark Survey 2014 presents Disaster Recovery preparedness benchmark trends for a mix of companies from across the globe, large and small.
The conclusion – 3 in 4 companies are at risk, failing to prepare for Disaster Recovery. Some of the startling facts highlighted in the report are:
- More than one-third (36%)of organizations lost one or more critical applications, VMs, or critical data files for hours at a time over the past year, while nearly one in five companies have lost one or more critical applications over a period of days.
- Even more alarming, one in four respondents said that they had lost most or all of a data center for hours or even days!
- Reported losses from outages ranged from a few thousand dollars to millions of dollars with nearly 20% indicating losses of more than $50,000 to over $5 million.
As you can see from the above findings, disaster recovery is not a ‘nice to have’ but a ‘must have’ for all business data.
Are you ready?
Ask yourself the following questions to assess whether you have an effective DR plan:
- Have you assigned budget to DR specifically, is it adequate?
- Do you have a fully documented DR plan? 60% of businesses don’t
- Have you tested your DR plan? 40% say, that when they did, the plan did not work
- Have you ever experienced an outage in your critical systems? 36% of businesses surveyed have
If you answered ‘no’ to any of the first three questions, or ‘yes’ to the last, then it’s time to give some serious thought to your disaster recover plans.
The cost of losing a critical system should not only be calculated in monetary terms, but also the time and effort involved from IT staff and 3rd party providers, all this cost and effort can be avoided by implementing an effective DR plan.
Another option is to upgrade to SaaS delivered systems, such as CIPHR, which offer additional DR services for peace of mind.
If you would like to discuss CIPHR’s DR services please call us on 01628 814060 or email us.